Liverpool FC Facts & Stats
Do you consider yourself to be the ultimate Liverpool FC supporter who thinks they know it all? We’d like to put that to the test…
Liverpool Football Club is one of England’s most successful and well-known sporting teams. It doesn’t matter if you are are a life-long supporter or a newcomer to the club. We reckon there’s plenty of interesting things you can still learn.
To help you out, we have provided a summary of some of the best statistics and facts about Liverpool FC.
- Anfield hasn’t always been Liverpool FC’s home – rivals Everton FC were based at the ground before a rent dispute! This also happened to spark the founding of LFC…
- Liverpool have never finished lower than 8th since 1963, the season they returned to the top division of English football
- Robbie Fowler previously held the record for quickest Premier League hat-trick – an accolade overtaken by current Red Sadio Mane
- The most bizarre injury? Not long after joining, Danish goalkeeper Michael Stensgaard dislocated his shoulder when setting up an ironing board
- Think Liverpool have always wore red? Wrong! The club’s original kit was blue and white until 1896
- The one and only Sir Kenny Dalglish became the first ever player-manager in English football
- Liverpool FC fans can be heard singing ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’ on Pink Floyd’s Fearless song
- Jerome Sinclair is the youngest player to make a first-team appearance while Sir Kenny Dalglish is the oldest (since 1964)
- The very first match LFC played brought in a crowd of just 100 despite a stadium capacity of 20,000
- Four Liverpool players were banned in 1915 following a match-fixing scandal when facing Manchester United on Good Friday
- The club has only won five major trophies without a Scotsman involved in the team
- Before being founded in 1892, Liverpool Football Club was the name of a rugby club – now known as Liverpool St Helens
- The Kop may only be able to hold 12,500 seated spectators today but it used to have a standing capacity of 30,000
- Bill Shankly installed the This Is Anfield sign to instil fear in opposition players
- Liverpool have won six European Cups – more than any other English team
- Bob Paisley is the club’s most successful manager having won 21 trophies during nine years in charge
- The first ever match featured on the BBC’s Match of the Day highlights program involved Liverpool and Arsenal
- Liverpool once held the world record for more expensive defender and goalkeeper at a single time – the latter of which was overtaken week’s later by Chelsea’s capture of Kepa Arrizabalaga
- The Merseyside Derby is often dubbed the ‘friendly derby’ due to no segregation between fans, yet there’s been more red cards than in any other Premier League fixture!
- Liverpool FC have won the League Title 18 times but are still chasing their first Premier League championship
- In 2005 Liverpool lost the final of the FIFA Club World Championship against Sao Paulo despite scoring three goals ruled out for offside
- The Kop stand is named after a hill in South Africa where the Boer War took place
- In 1984 Liverpool became the first English team to win three trophies in a single season
Take Your Knowledge to the Next Level with a Tour
We hope this article has enhanced your knowledge of Liverpool Football Club with several interesting facts and stats about the club. That said, there’s always room for further improvement. Our Liverpool FC bus tour is the perfect opportunity for any Liverpool superfan. LFC City Explorer takes you right to Anfield Stadium where you can tour the iconic ground, visit the club’s museum and acquire a souvenir. Before arriving at the stadium you will witness fantastic views of the city of Liverpool.
Book your tickets now to secure a spot on this sightseeing tour.